hr companies

Travelling for Work in Canada? Know your Coverage

Do your employees travel for integral business needs? Are your employees covered by the workers’ compensation board while travelling within Canada?

If you have an employee that is travelling, be sure to reach out to your WCB contact for more information and next steps. PEO Canada’s Workers’ Compensation Team is here to help. We can assist in tracking employees’ earnings across multiple provinces, especially when work takes them to different places in Canada.

All workers’ compensation boards across Canada provide jurisdictional out-of-province for up to six months if an employee needs to work temporarily in a different province/territory.

For example, let’s say an employee from Northwest Territories needs to work temporarily outside the region and wants to be covered by the Workers’ Safety & Compensation Commission (WSCC), they must meet all of the following criteria:
• Their usual place of employment is the Northwest Territories or Nunavut;
• Their job involves activities both within and outside these territories
• The period of work performed outside the territories does not exceed six months.

Coverage may extend beyond the Northwest Territories or Nunavut if certain factors connect the employee to these regions
• Where the employment contract was made
• The terms of the employment contract
• The location of the primary residence of the employee
• The jurisdiction regulating the payroll taxation of the employee

While all workers’ compensation boards across Canada provide jurisdictional out-of-province coverage, it is important to review the requirements for coverage in each province. The registration requirements may supersede any out-of-province coverage from another workers’ compensation board.

                       Jurisdiction    Employer Registration requirements          Jurisdictional Out-Of-Province                                        Coverage
  Alberta With in 15 days from workers’ start date           Up to 12 Continuous months
  British Columbia Before 1st worker is hired, no earlier than 30 days before work begins           Less than 6 months
  Manitoba Before 1st worker is hired in a “mandatory” industry           Up to 6 months
  New Brunswick Within 15 days from the start of business, if employing 3 or more workers          For the duration of temporary                     assignment and WCB account                       must  be in good standing
  Newfoundland and Labrador Upon hire of 1st worker         Up to 12 months and employees                must be expected to return to work                                        in NL
  Northwest Territories / Nunavut With in 10 days of commencement of work          Up to 6 months
  Nova Scotia If operating in a “mandatory” industry and employing 3 or more workers at one time          Up to 6 months
  Ontario Within 10 days of hiring employees          Up to 6 months
  Prince Edward Island Before start of operations and must be renewed annually by Feb 28          Up to 6 months
  Quebec No later than 60 days following the 1st day the 1st worker reports to work          For duration of temporary                            assignment and return to QC                         must be definite
  Saskatchewan Within 30 days of beginning work and hiring workers          Up to 2 years and may extend to 5               years
  Yukon If operating a business for more than 10 days in the year          Up to 12 months and must obtain               approval

Share this post