hr companies

Workers’ Compensation: Travelling for Work Within Canada

Do your employees travel for integral business needs? Are your employees covered by the workers’ compensation board while travelling within Canada?

All workers’ compensation boards across Canada provide jurisdictional out-of-province for up to six months if an employee needs to work temporarily in a different province/territory.

For example, let’s say an employee from Northwest Territories needs to work temporarily outside the region and wants to be covered by the Workers’ Safety & Compensation Commission (WSCC), they must meet all of the following criteria:
• Their usual place of employment is the Northwest Territories or Nunavut;
• Their job involves activities both within and outside these territories
• The period of work performed outside the territories does not exceed six months.

Coverage may extend beyond the Northwest Territories or Nunavut if certain factors connect the employee to these regions:
• Where the employment contract was made
• The terms of the employment contract
• The location of the primary residence of the employee
• The jurisdiction regulating the payroll taxation of the employee

While all workers’ compensation boards across Canada provide jurisdictional out-of-province coverage, it is important to review the requirements for coverage in each province. The registration requirements may supersede any out-of-province coverage from another workers’ compensation board.

JurisdictionEmployer Registration requirements Jurisdictional Out-Of-Province Coverage
AlbertaWith in 15 days from workers’ start dateUp to 12 Continuous months
British ColumbiaBefore 1st worker is hired, no earlier than 30 days before work beginsLess than 6 months
ManitobaBefore 1st worker is hired in a “mandatory” industryUp to 6 months
New BrunswickWithin 15 days from the start of business, if employing 3 or more workersFor the duration of temporary assignment and WCB account must be in good standing
Newfoundland and LabradorUpon hire of 1st workerUp to 12 months and employees must be expected to return to work in NL
Northwest Territories / NunavutWith in 10 days of commencement of workUp to 6 months
Nova ScotiaIf operating in a “mandatory” industry and employing 3 or more workers at one timeUp to 6 months
OntarioWithin 10 days of hiring employeesUp to 6 months
Prince Edward IslandBefore start of operations and must be renewed annually by Feb 28Up to 6 months
QuebecNo later than 60 days following the 1st day the 1st worker reports to workFor duration of temporary assignment and return to QC must be definite
SaskatchewanWithin 30 days of beginning work and hiring workersUp to 2 years and may extend to 5 years
YukonIf operating a business for more than 10 days in the yearUp to 12 months and must obtain approval
Resource from Canada’s National Payroll Institute.

If you have an employee that is travelling for work, be sure to reach out to your WCB contact for more information and next steps. PEO Canada’s Workers’ Compensation Team is here to help. We can assist in tracking employees’ earnings across multiple provinces, especially when work takes them to different places in Canada.

Share this post